Harod and was one of the first art museums founded in the country.
Samuel Bickels, a Kibbutz member, planned the museum’s permanent building, a complex of galleries and courtyards overlooking the Jezreel Valley. It was inaugurated in 1948, and was opened during the height of the battle of Independence. It was the first building to be erected as a museum in Israel and only years afterwards were museum buildings in the larger cities built.
Members themselves during the early period following the founding of the kibbutz, in the belief that culture and art are among the essential components of a society. The museum was built before other essential physical needs of the kibbutz society were met. A New
Mondays–Thursdays: 9.00 am – 4.30 pm; Fridays & holiday eves: 9.00 am – 1.30 pm; Saturdays & holidays: 10.00 am – 4.30 pm
Horizon for New Horizons
Curators: Prof. Gila Balas, Yaniv Shapira, Dalia Danon
Febuary 27th 2016 – July 2016
Pinchas Abramovich, Kosso Eloul, Arie Aroch, Mordechai Arieli, Robert Baser, Yitzhak Danziger, Jacob Wexler, Joseph Zaritsky, Aaron Kahana, yehiel krize, moshe kupferman, Rafi Lavi, Uri Lifshitz, Avigdor Luisada, Zvi Mairovich, Avraham Naton, Avigdor Stematsky, Yohanan Simon, yigal tumarkin, Avshalom Okashi, Dov Feigin, Ruth Zarfati shterenshus, Chaim Kiewe, Moshe Castel, , shmuel raayoni, Yehezkel Streichman, Moshe Sternschuss, Yehiel Shemi, Marcel Janco.
Boaz Arad, Gilad Efrat, Avivit Ballas Baranes, Yoni Gold, Shira Gepstein-Moshkovich, Jonathan Hirschfeld, Gal Weinstein, Irit Hemmo, Avital Cnaani, Rami Maymon.
The “New Horizons” group (Ofakim Hadashim) was founded in 1948 and continued to work as a group until the early nineteen-sixties. Its years of operation were to a large extent the formative years of Israeli art, a period in which key reference points for local sculpture and painting crystallized. The group’s members, some of whom have long since joined the pantheon of Israeli art, were known for their strong advocacy of progressive, high level universal art and for their pursuit of modernism and abstraction; with this approach they threw into sharp relief the argument surrounding the question of the local style of painting and sculpture and established patterns that persist still today in these two branches of Israeli visual Art.
The exhibition “A New Horizon for New Horizons” summons a renewed encounter with the Ofakim Hadashim group, regarded by many as the most important movement in the annals of Israeli art. The group’s last exhibit was held at The Museum of Art, Ein Harod, in 1963, and was re-exhibited by Yona Fischer at the Israel Museum three years after the group disbanded (1966).It is remarkable that in the fifty years since then, no comprehensive exhibition of this group was held. The present exhibition seeks to fill this historical-cultural lacuna, to afford a broad perspective on this significant chapter, and to examine its relevance through time: how are the influences of Ofakim Hadashim manifested in the art that came after it, did it succeed in articulating a distinctly “local” style of painting, and what is the place of this movement’s legacy in Israeli art.